Behavioral health is an underserved segment of healthcare but one of the most important to improving the overall health of a population. Nearly 70 percent of adults with mental illness have co-occurring medical conditions and 29 percent of adults with physical health conditions have comorbid mental illness1. Despite the high numbers of outpatient visits for mental health patients, up to 60 percent of these encounters are missing from their primary care provider’s EHRs and 89 percent of acute psychiatric services go unreported2. Failures of care coordination can increase costs from $25-45 billion annually3.
Improved communication between behavioral health and physical care teams is crucial to successful outcomes. Having access to rich clinical data would further the success of behavioral health and substance abuse providers. Patients in this arena are a focal point in many care management cases. It’s crucial to follow the patient closely throughout the care continuum for the best possible outcome.
How healtheConnect Alaska Can Help
Eliminate double data entry for AKAIMS submissions
In Alaska, behavioral health providers receiving Medicaid funding must report several patient data elements to the state through the AKAIMS database. healtheConnect Alaska is working with the state to be the interface between providers and the state database. This would remove the need to complete double data entry into the EHR and AKAIMS, improving administrative efficiency and reducing costs. healtheConnect Alaska can also help behavioral health participants with other public health reporting efforts including labs, vaccines, and infectious diseases.
Alerts and notifications
Sending notifications of admits and discharges from the ER is another way healtheConnect can help. healtheHUB is a query portal that supplies access to these alerts. It also supplies medication fill data and Prescription Data Monitoring Program (PDMP) lookup with overdose alerts, data from multiple states and the ability to see patient level prescribing data. Other important data elements including encounters, lab results, diagnostic images, allergies, immunizations, and documents.
healtheHUB* is a unified landing page and web-based query portal that integrates best in breed technology solutions of applications, services, and other health information exchange data sources on to one platform. healtheHUB leverages NextGate MPI (Master Patient Index) technology and is powered by the Mirth Integration Engine. healtheHUB includes these services:
– Select patient information
– Medication Fill History
– Prescription Data Monitoring Program (PDMP) lookup
– eHealth Exchange Access
– PROMPT (Proactive Management of Patient Transitions)
– ENS (Event Notification System)
*For most providers, healtheHUB will embed directly into the EHR. This will allow users to use make a single sign-on to query the HIE and all associated data without leaving their EHR or having to log in and search for the patient twice.
A la Carte Services
– Direct Secure Messaging
– Secure Text Messaging -TigerConnect and TigerFlow
– Image Share and Exchange
– Lab Results
Providing access to behavioral health data (coming in 2019)
– A tool for patient opt-in to open up access to substance abuse information. healtheConnect is working with their healtheHUB technology provider, to develop a tool for patient opt-in and consent law compliance, opening access to behavioral health and substance abuse information largely left out of clinical decision making. We are currently looking for providers that use the Qualifacts EHR software to partner with us for a pilot project to do a preliminary study to evaluate its effectiveness and build it to meet the needs of all behavioral health providers.
– Data from Alaska Psychiatric Institute. Another important project healtheConnect Alaska is working on with the state is to supply health information from the Alaska Psychiatric Institute (API). Currently, API data is not accessible outside of certain elements for public health reporting. The goal of this long-term project is to both support API in their implementation of technology that better captures important data but to integrate tools into the technology that allows for seamless access and sharing state-wide.